Milwaukee Guerrilla Gay Bar, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The Guiding Politburo
The Politburo of MGGB is a group of individuals who guide the organization. The Poliburo includes the following general positions (although exact assignments may vary among the members of the Politburo at the time):
- Khan: Governance -- The "head" of MGGB, this individual is responsible for keeping all the individual members on task, calling meetings of the Politburo, signing any official MGGB correspondence, managing and handling funds raised by Development, and generally coordinating all aspects of MGGB.
- Minister of Internal Affairs: Operations -- This individual is responsible for the general operations and events of MGGB, especially dates and logistics of events (who is responsible for greeting, stickers, photos, etc. at each event). This position is also responsible for administrative control of the web site and email infrastructure.
- Minister of Propaganda: Marketing/ Communications -- This position designs and maintains the overall look and perception of the MGGB. Responsible for media presence, press releases, flyers, look and feel of all internet presence (design and layout of web site, pages on MySpace, Facebook, etc.), and general "propaganda".
- Minister of External Affairs: Community Outreach -- This individual is responsible for MGGB's relationships with and perceptions by other LGBT businesses and organizations and broader community organizations outside of the media. This includes arrangements for alliances or relationships with other lesbian/gay groups and businesses, university groups, as well as setting up after-bar parties at partner gay/ lesbian bars. In addition, this person, in coordination with the Khan, will send a follow-up letter to the target bar a few days after the Takeover.
- Minister of Recruitment: Recruiting/ Membership -- (Vacant) This position is charged with communication with existing "friends", as well as finding new friends of MGGB. If someone expresses interest in helping with MGGB (either on the Politburo or at events), this individual will help channel those volunteers to the appropriate politburo member to best utilize their interests/ skills. In addition, this position is responsible for searching web sites such as MySpace and Facebook for potential friends, and inviting those individuals to our next events; sending emails to all existing friends and contacts on such sites, and on our Yahoo mailing list, to inform them of the next MGGB event at the appropriate intervals (typically, reminding friends of the date 2 weeks before, advance private notice for friends of the venue about 5 days before the event, and posting that same information on MySpace, Yahoo! group, and Facebook (with the dates 2 weeks before, but not listing location and address until no more than 2 days before the event for general public).
- Minister of Development: Fundraising/ Development -- This individual is responsible for raising the minimal funds needed to keep MGGB running smoothly. MGGB has very little overhead expenses: the largest cost is for flyers etc. each month, minimal amount for stickers and other incidentals, plus small annual charges for domain name, web site, post office box, etc. This position will come with ideas and coordinate implementation of ways to raise the funds needed to keep the organization running.
- Minister of Strategy -- This position helps guide the long term planning of the organization, helping to coordinate future takeovers, after-parties, to ensure broad and changing neighborhoods, types of venues, continued new ideas for outreach, etc.
- Minister at Large -- Any At-Large Politburo member(s) pinch hit to help out in various areas as needed to accomodate the schedules of other Politburo members, wherever assistance is needed at the time; helping out at the Takeover and After-Party events; and work on special projects according to their interests.
Return to MGGB Home Page